Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Way Too Easy Lemon Cheesecake

Remember how I said I fell in love with Lemon Pie on my mission? When I came across this recipe today, I remembered whose fault that was.


Lana Garfield. She was a member in Danville, VA. She was gorgeous, had beautiful house, a handsome husband, and 3 beautiful daughters between about 10 and 16, if I remember right. The Garfields were from Utah and they'd moved to Danville for Brother Garfield's job. Virginia was quite an adventure for that little family! Brian had come out first and Lana and the girls came out later. I remember laughing SO hard when Lana told me the story of how Bryan picked her up at the airport and was excited to show her around. As they were driving he said,

"See? Don't you like it?"

And Lana, in the sweetest voice with the most bewildered look on her face said,
"Nooo ... Not even a little bit."

(Maybe that's one of those stories she has to tell to be funny. ;)

Since the culture-shock was so great for her and her girls, Lana took it upon herself to be a mom to every missionary that was ever sent to Danville. She told me once something like, "I can just imagine these boys' sweet mothers back home ... they have no idea what their babies have gotten into!"

Lana was an AMAZING cook. Her kids only ever had home-made bread. (They would actually beg her for crappy white store-bought bread for a treat!) That poor woman! Eating at her house was such a treat. Not just because the food was fantastic, but because The Garfields were so great. Even though Sister Garfield was incredibly gorgeous and there was no way you could imagine her in any way being old enough to be your mom, she just ooozed motherhood and made you feel like she would take care of you.

For my birthday she took my companion, Sister Mitchell, and I to this totally girly little restaurant attached to a store that sold things like candles and potpourri and greeting cards. After lunch she convinced me to try a slice of their White Chocolate Lemon Cheesecake. It was definitely not what I would have picked on my own, but she told me I would love it.


Holy Moly, understatement of the decade. It was PERFECT.

Fast-forward to my next area. I made another great friend in a new mom from Utah, Jen Wilkinson. She had a beautiful little family and just happened to be a great cook, too. (Guess they know how to grow 'em in Utah.)


One day when I mentioned that amazing lemon cheesecake, she said, "Oh, I think I have a recipe you might like!" She was right. I did like it. It's really not some fabulous gourmet recipe. BUT, it's just easy enough that a Sister Missionary can make it on her P-Day. And sometimes that's really all that matters. Thanks, Jen! :)

Way Too Easy Lemon Cheesecake

12 oz. Cream Cheese
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/3 cup Lemon Juice
1 Pre-made Graham Cracker Pie Crust

Mix cream cheese and milk until smooth. Slowly mix in lemon. Pour into crust. Chill overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment