Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Blackberry Crisp

Remember that recipe for Sweet Potato Pie? Well, the topping recipe has become one of my most useful tidbits of kitchen-knowledge. It is SO great to jazz up SO many recipes! I've used it as a topping for pumpkin pie, apple pie, and my personal favorite go-to dessert: Blackberry Crisp. It's super easy, and as far as desserts go, pretty darn healthy. My mom's property is surrounded by blackberry bushes, and for about 2 weeks in July we do our best to pick as many as we can and freeze them.


Since we never know how sweet they are, sometimes I add in some peaches to this recipe, or just douse those blackberries in agave nectar. Basically the recipe is to fill the bottom of a casserole dish with fruit and agave nectar (if needed) and sprinkle it with that magic Appalachian topping.

1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 stick of butter
1 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)

(I'm pretty sure I usually double those amounts.)
 
Bake at 400 8-10 minutes, then at 350 until no longer runny. Adding real whipped cream when serving is HIGHLY recommended. 

We recently had a chili cook off and cobbler contest at church and I was going to make my blackberry crisp but then realized it wasn't technically a cobbler, so I decided to use the official North Carolina Mission Home Peach Cobbler recipe. It was crap. I totally should have made this instead.

Oh, also, if you just cook this topping recipe in a skillet until it's crispy - it makes a GREAT ice cream topping!

No comments:

Post a Comment