Sunday, November 6, 2011

Peach Sugar Jam

The Summer Jonas was born Annelie gave me the best gift ever and stayed with us until Fall. We saw a sign that the orchard down the street was selling their end-of-the-season peaches for $10 a lug. I had no idea how much a lug was, but it sounded like a good deal, and since the new impossibility of being a mother of TWO children was weighing heavily on my mind, I figured I'd better take my opportunity to make some jam while I had an extra pair of hands.


Since then, I've discovered the magic of Pomona's Pectin and I always make my jam without sugar. But this peach jam turned out fabulous, so if I ever find myself without Pomona's on hand, this will be my go-to recipe.

Here's Sam enjoying licking the pan of fudge my new-mommy-lactating-queen-hormones required me to make at the same time.
Good thing I don't put sugar in my jam anymore, huh?


Peach Sugar Jam

Combine 6 cups Chopped and Peeled Peach Chunks with 3 cups Sugar. Cook over Med/High heat stirring constantly. When fruit starts bubbling, add 1 Tbsp. Butter. When it gets to a rolling boil that can't be stirred down, add Low/No Sugar Pectin. Stir for 1 full minute. Turn off heat, fill those jars, and process in a water bath. My batch made 3 3/4 pints.


This recipe is those 3 golden-colored pint jars on the left.
Those tiny little dark-colored ones were plum-cranberry jam.
The other orangey-colored pint jars were a different recipe using yellow peaches 
(all the peach chunks floated to the top.)
Those big quart jars are white peaches in light syrup,
and the rest of the peachy-colored jars are white peach cranberry jam. 

No comments:

Post a Comment