Thursday, November 10, 2011

Waiting For Jonas Pie

The summer of 2009, I swore I would plan ALL future pregnancies so that I would never again have to spend the summer pregnant!
In June, we moved to Paradise, CA, and I spent the summer trying to get unpacked, occasionally tending a last-minute garden, and trying to keep a baby cooking.

(Nope, I wasn't in labor. Apparently that's the face I made when trying to get up after weeding.)

My best friend, Annelie, came about a week before Jonas arrived to help with all the things you need help with when a baby comes. (Thank you, Jesus.) Annelie got here just as the apples on our tree became ripe and then promptly starting dropping off the tree. Annelie refused to let them go to waste and immediately started dehydrating them and making applesauce. She asked if I had a good recipe for apple pie and I said, "If you're making it, I'll find one!"

We made a few changes to a recipe we found for Sour Cream Apple Pie and Annelie made 2. For the next few days I ate that pie for breakfast, dessert, and occasionally for a snack. (Hello ... Apples! It was FULL of good nutrition for growing a baby!)

Just after midnight August 17, 2009 I went into labor. I'd gone to bed at 10:00, and since I was having an extremely difficult time getting comfortable those days, I hadn't yet gotten any REAL sleep. If I was having a baby in the morning I was gonna need my rest, so I did my best to sleep in between contractions. At 2:00 I decided to get up and do my hair and makeup and pack up any last minute things for the hospital. (Don't laugh - I had taken a shower right before bed, and I have naturally curly/crazy hair! I couldn't go to the hospital like that!) It turned out I pretty much scrapped the idea of making myself presentable, because it didn't take long once I got out of bed that those contractions started picking up and it took enough of  my energy and concentration that flat-ironing my hair didn't seem quite as necessary as it had before.

By 2:30 I decided I'd better wake James and Annelie up so they could get ready, too. James was not too excited about getting up at 2:30 in the morning so he decided to time my contractions before getting ready. (I think he was hoping to able to go back to bed.) When he saw they were 1 minute apart, he was suddenly wide awake.

Just before leaving the house, guess what I had the privilege of throwing up? Yep, that pie was the last thing I'd eaten before bed. You'd think that would make me never want to eat it again, right? But as soon as it was time to go home from the hospital, my first question was, "Is there any of that pie left?" It's just that good.


Waiting For Jonas Pie
Filling:
1 Egg
1 cup Sour Cream
2 Tbsp. Flour
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Vanilla
3 cups (1 1/4 pounds) peeled sliced Tart Apples

1 9" Unbaked Pie Shell (Frozen or Chilled in Freezer for 30 minutes.)

Topping:
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/3 cup Flour
1/4 cup Butter (room temp)
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon

Beat together sour cream, sugar, flour, salt, vanilla, and egg.
Add apples, mixing carefully to coat well.
Put filling in pie shell and Bake at 400 for 25 minutes.
Mix topping ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
After 25 minutes, remove pie from oven and sprinkle with topping.
Bake for 20 more minutes.
Let cool for 1 hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment