Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Tar Heel Pie

Sometime during my time in North Carolina I picked up this post card ...

I originally grabbed it because I really like Southern Kitsch, but part of me also thought that that pie actually looked darn good.

It must not be a very popular recipe because I never actually had it in the 21 months I was there, but I did make it some time after I got home, and Oh. My. Goodness. It is incredible. AND ridiculously easy (which convinces me it must be a TRUE Southern recipe.)

I stumbled on an accidental variation while making it, too. If you pour the butter over the chocolate chips while it's really warm (like the recipe says to) the chocolate melts and makes this rich fudgey, gooey sort of filling. 

OR ...

If you melt the butter and add all the other ingredients first, it cools the concoction down so when you add the chocolate chips they don't lose their shape. The finished pie ends up being much more like a giant chocolate chip cookie.

I'm not sure I have a favorite way of making it. They're both totally different and totally scrumptious.

Tar Heel Pie
1 cup chocolate chips
1 stick of butter (melted)
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs (beaten)

Pour warm butter over chocolate chips and stir. Blend all remaining ingredients and stir into chocolate chip mixture. Pour into an unbaked pie shell. 
***or a graham cracker or oreo crust - if you buy those ones that come with the disposable pan it's REALLY easy - No Clean Up!*** 
Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes. 
(From the kitchen of Mary Baker.)

No comments:

Post a Comment